Hellboy pokies review
Hellboy pokies review
After soaring to mainstream popularity thanks to the 2004 Columbia Pictures film starring Ron Pearlman, Hellboy now joins the list of other comic book icons to make their way onto the pokies reels.
Try Hellboy online pokies by Microgaming
How to play Microgaming’s Hellboy
Hellboy is a five reel 20 payline real money online slot game that has several betting options and special features. Based on the superhero character created by Mike Mignola, Hellboy is the child of a witch and a demon, reluctantly playing the role of Harbinger of the Apocalypse. The pokies game is based on the comic rather than the movie and features cool, bold imagery with a pop-art vibe.
The specifics of the game are as follows:
- Coin sizes – .01, .02. .05, .10, .20, .25
- Number of coins allowed per spin – 1 to 10
- Minimum bet – .01
- Maximum bet – $50.00
- Jackpot – $100,000
- Scatter symbol – Yes (the ‘Right Hand of Doom’ aka fist symbol)
- Wild symbol – Yes (the Hellboy logo)
Hellboy gameplay features and bonuses
The symbols in Hellboy are made up of characters from the original comic series, featuring Hellboy himself, The Right Hand of Doom (fist), Karl Ruprecht Kroenen, Abe Sapien, Liz Sherman and Professor Broom along with your standard 10, J, Q, K and A symbols. There’s a handful of sweet bonuses triggered either at random or by the wild and scatter symbols.
- The Hellboy wild – The Hellboy logo symbol is the games wild and can substitute all other symbols except for the scatter (fist symbol). During substitute spins all wins are doubled. If you manage to line up five of the Hellboy logo wilds you’ll win the jackpot, which is either 10,000 credits or 100,000 credits if the maximum bet is in play.
- The Right Hand of Doom scatter the fist symbol is the games scatter and makes up a winning combination when two or more appear anywhere across the reels. The scatter can’t be substituted by the wild symbol. An appearance of three of more of the fist scatter anywhere across the reels will trigger the Underworld Bonus. Scatter wins are multiplied by the total bet wagered.
- Gamble feature – when the gamble icon appears at the bottom of the reels click the button to enable the gamble feature. This will give you the chance to double or quadruple your win by guessing the correct card suit or colour. You can continue to gamble your winnings until the gamble limit has been reached (or five gambles per game).
- Super Mode Free Spin – Super Mode is activated randomly and when triggered you’ll be awarded with 10 free spins. During free spins, up to three wild symbols (Hellboy logo) are awarded and held in place for the remaining duration of Super Mode. Further free spins cannot be activated when the game is in Super Mode, nor can the Underworld Bonus. If Super Mode and the Underworld Bonus are triggered at the same time, the Underworld Bonus will activate first.
- The Underworld Bonus – this is the highlight of Hellboy and is triggered by three or more of the scatter (fist) symbols. This cool bonus feature has five different levels where you travel down one of four tunnels with your mission to find the hidden relic of power. Behind each tunnel lies five doors and you have to choose a door to open to reveal what’s hidden inside which will be either a random bonus win amount, a win all symbol or a blocked symbol which ends your bonus mission. All win amounts are multiplied by your current wager. If you make it through all four tunnels successfully you head to the fifth level, The Chamber of Fire, where you shoot the crystal to reveal the relic of power. The Underworld Bonus brings the potential to win up to 33,600 bonus coins.
Where to play Hellboy for real money
Hellboy is a product of legendary software creator Microgaming and can therefore be found at a majority of Microgaming powered casinos including the following:
Each of these sites warmly welcome Aussie players with some awesome welcome bonuses and accept deposits in AUD. Hellboy can be played for free in demo mode first before moving on to place real money wagers.
OnlineCasinoSite’s verdict on Hellboy
You don’t have to be a fan of Hellboy or even of comic books for that matter to enjoy this game. Using bold, colourful graphics with dark outlines, Hellboy looks quite striking, definitely keeping to a simple yet effective format. There’s no innovative special features here to particularly knock your socks off, but there’s a selection of really cool bonus rounds that are not only fun to play, but really boost your winning potential.
It’s surprising that this game isn’t more popular, as during our testing we really enjoyed it and would definitely come back for more. We definitely recommend you give Hellboy a try, especially if you have a proclivity towards comic style animation.