Online casino games provide keen punters with a legal avenue to pursue quality real money gambling favourites, from the convenience of their own desktops, laptops, mobile phones and tablets. Below are some important details about real cash Internet gaming you should read familiarise yourself with.
Best real money online casinos
100% up to $1000
Visit BetOnline BetOnline Casino Review
100% up to $3000
Visit Bovada Bovada Casino Review
Top RTG casino
Raging Bull Casino
350% deposit bonus + 50 free spins
Visit Raging Bull Raging Bull Casino Review
Online Slots Kings
200% up to $1000
Join Slots.lv Slots.lv Review
Start your engines!
100% up to $1000
Visit Ignition Ignition Casino Review
Advantages of online casino games versus land-based
Accessible directly from Web browsers, players aged 18 years and older can create online casino accounts with reputable and licensed Internet gambling sites, deposit real cash via secure banking methods, and enjoy hundreds upon hundreds of regulated and fair casino titles, such as the pokies, blackjack, roulette, baccarat, poker and more – from the comfort of home.
In terms of odds and house edges, online casino games provide a far more favourable balance for the player, because Internet gambling operators do not have to deal with the same kind of overheads land based casino have to deal with – this way, interactive operators can afford to better gaming house edges for the gambler.
Pokies machines in Victoria must provide a minimum return rate to the player, of 87 per cent (which means the machine boasts a 13 per cent house edge). On the Internet, you will find interactive pokies games typically boasting return rates from anywhere between 95 per cent up to 98 per cent – far more appealing.
Table games also boast lower house edges, and offer a greater variety of betting options. Far more diversity and variations of games exist in the online arena of gambling, including variants you wouldn’t be able to find anywhere across the globe.
You can enjoy hundreds of random number generated blackjack, roulette and poker titles, as well as partake in live croupier games – authentic games which are recorded and streamed live to your screens in high definition, and are managed by professionally trained dealers with whom you can chat. Choose from both luck based and skill based games.
Quality, convenience and better odds are the three chief advantages of playing casino games on the Internet, as opposed to at your local gaming house. Players will also receive a bevy of bonuses and promotions (more so than your do at Crown, for example), and online casinos cater for lower and higher stakes gamblers, so you can play all games regardless of your bankroll.
What pokies and table games have online versions?
Listing every gaming variation available to play at different online casinos, and every unique, interactive pokies title, would fill a book. Below we’ve sorted through the categories of games you will find across a host of some of the most respected and trustworthy online and mobile casino sites:
- Pokies – traditional three-reel pokies, five-reel, immersive video pokies, three-dimensional pokies, progressive jackpot pokies, and other unique styles of online slots.
- Blackjack variants – including both American and European formats, multi-hand games, Double Exposure blackjack, and a host of other popular formats of 21 which include engaging side bets.
- Roulette variations – including American, European and French formats, multi-wheel roulette titles (spin up to eight wheel at the same time), as well as hybrid roulette games such as Spingo.
- Baccarat – Multiple versions of this classic French games which is hugely popular among the Asian population (Punto Banco, Baccarat Pro and more, appropriate for high and low rollers).
- Video poker and poker against the dealer – a stack of video poker titles you know and love, including Jacks or Better, Aces and Faces, Deuces Wild, Joker Poker, All American and more. Poker table games against the dealer are also highly popular, and include games such as Caribbean Stud, Casino Hold’em, Cyberstud Poker, Oasis Poker, Three Card Poker, Pai Gow Poker and more.
- Bingo and Keno – Some great takes on classic keno and bingo games, customised and optimised for the online realm of gambling, boasting quality bonus payouts.
- Scratch cards – A wide variety of easy to understand scratch cards with unique and interactive themes, for some good, old fashioned, dumb luck.
- Virtual sports and racing games – With Internet gaming technology progressing at a rapid rate, we can enjoy some brilliant virtual sports and racing titles, such as Premier Racing, Virtual Rugby, Virtual Soccer, Touchdown, Virtual Racebook and more.
- Other – Check out the host of other, smaller games such as Craps, Sic Bo, Ace, Triple Wins, Red Dog, Top Card Trumps (also known as Casino War), Triple Chance Hi Lo, Crown and Anchor, Triangulation and more.
- Live dealer titles – All the categories of games listed above utilise random number generator technology to power their software (tested and approved by independent gaming agencies). But are you looking for a more authentic gaming experience?
Want to feel like you’re at Crown, without the crowds and required travel time? Take a look at the casino operators’ live dealer platforms, where you will join actual croupiers dealing cards, spinning wheels and drawing numbers from regulated gaming studio environments, with a host of fantastic player features. Some live titles include blackjack, roulette, baccarat, poker and lottery-style games.
If you’re not sure where to start or you’re looking for something new to try, consider giving the Five Game Challenge a go at any of our recommended casino sites.
How to play online casino games
Sign up with any of our endorsed casino gaming websites, from any compatible platform, and you will be taken directly to the operator’s landing page so you can register an account (free of charge), and instantly deposit cash. If you’re new to online casinos, read our tips for new players to help you identify how to choose a safe casino site.
Sign up details include typical information such as name, password, email address, date of birth, country of residency and preferred currency. All players can browse through the collection of games and enjoy them in practice mode before committing to real money gameplay, in order to get a feel for how the software operates.
All operators boast a browser-based gaming interface, where you can play games instantly through your Web browsers (graphically advanced technology such as HTML5 is used). This is the most convenient method of real money gameplay, and is becoming increasingly popular because of the exponential progress of Internet technology.
Some operators will also offer a downloadable gaming client – secure software which you can install on to you computers to enjoy a complete, sophisticated and immersive casino experience.
Note: both platforms offer the same quality and quantity of games.
Mobile and tablet gambling – Each casino site offers a fully-optimised smartphone and tablet interface for all the latest mobile, tablet and two-in-one tablet/laptop devices. Quality remains extremely high, and live dealer titles have just recently been released by our endorsed operators, across almost all portable mediums.
We recommend playing directly via your Web browsers on your smartphones and tablets (just open any of our links from your chosen device, and away you go). You can then create your own shortcut Web app on your home-screen which will grant you direct access to your specified casino lobby and games, bypassing messy URL addresses and maximising screen space.
Online casino games: a brief history
When the Free Trade and Processing Zone Act was passed in 1994 (in the Caribbean island of Antigua and Barbuda), this allowed companies to obtain licenses to begin to operate an interactive casino via the Internet.
Software developers came first once the Act was passed, and Microgaming and Cryptologic were the two earliest software building companies that would seek to make their programs available to the general public in the form of casino gaming platforms.
These two companies evolved the development of online gambling, creating Internet casinos called The Gaming Club (Microgaming) and InterCasino (Cryptologic) – both of which still exist today.
After more than 20 years of additional commissions springing up to regulate the online gambling industry, it became more common for operators to apply for licenses to offer real money online casino betting to offshore residents around the globe.
Restrictions to curtail the gigantic surge in Internet betting were introduced in a number of different countries, with many countries still maintaining strict limitations.
However, free trade, self control and autonomous capitalism remain essential for the prosperity of many countries, and so lawful interactive gambling offerings are today, managed carefully by many jurisdictions. And while different countries maintain different laws in regards to residents being able to bet on the Web, hundreds of licensed casino sites exist on the Internet.
In today’s digital age, software designer companies such as Microgaming, Cryptologic and other more recent providers like BetSoft, Net Entertainment, NYX Gaming, Rival, Quickspin and Play’n Go, use the latest technology to generate graphically, visually and audio advanced games and interfaces, and convenient online banking is protected with high-end Secure Socket Layer (SSL) digital encryption technology to ensure all transactions are safe-guarded.
Bet with the right operators, and you can have a heap of fun.
Where to play online casino games for real money
We have chosen a handful of esteemed and quality casino operators who supply eligible players with legal and safe real money gameplay, and they are listed below.
All are licensed by their respective gaming jurisdiction regulatory bodies (such as the United Kingdom Gambling Commission and the Lotteries and Gaming Authority of Malta), and all are independently tested for fair gaming software which is unbiased and free from manipulation, safe operator conduct and player protection (by testing agencies like the eCommerce Online Gaming Regulation and Assurance body).