Table etiquette for casinos
Table etiquette for casinos
Table games are incredibly popular at land-based casinos and online casinos alike, providing a more interactive betting experience in comparison to poker machines. One major difference between the two casino varieties is players need to be much more aware of their surroundings at a brick and mortar casino. This is because, unlike playing behind a screen in your home, you are out in public at a real-life casino, meaning it is important to be aware of how you conduct yourself for the comfort of other players and staff. Below, we have outlined some basic rules to follow when playing at a land-based casino, to ensure you don’t cause any problems at the table.
Etiquette tips for playing table games at a casino
- Dress properly: Many casinos have a dress code to maintain a certain image. So, unless you feel like trekking all the way back home, make sure you check the requirements before heading to the casino to make sure your outfit is of an appropriate standard. No, thongs, shorts and birthday suits are ever acceptable. If you’re travelling to a land based casino, read our guide of what to pack on a casino holiday.
- Know the rules of the game: While you aren’t expected to be an expert, you should have a basic understanding of how the game works before you sit down at the table. This avoids you pestering other players and the dealer and slowing down the flow of the game. An easy way to learn is to play in practice play mode at online casinos.
- Mind your manners: This seems like a pretty simple rule, but it is not uncommon for emotions to overflow when money is on the line. For the comfort of the players around you, ensure you are polite and respectful at all times and try not to bother other players with questions or chit-chat. Also ensure you don’t hog the table – literally. Make sure you leave room for other players to get involved – they want to place bets too, so don’t be greedy.
- Don’t touch the bets or table: It is important to know when and how to bet in each table game you are playing and to not interfere with any of the bets on the table once the betting period is over for each game. For example, in roulette the dealer will announce ‘no more bets’ which is the cut off for wagers. Players must not bet outside this timeframe and are not permitted to alter any bets – or so much as touch the chips or markers on the table. Any interference may be interpreted as cheating and could see you banned from the table or removed from the casino.
- Control your own chips Many table games used coloured chips as the betting currency. Every new player is given their own individual chips which are a mixture colours and designs to allow the dealer to differentiate between each players’ bets. Therefore, do not attempt to combine your chips with your friends – mixing bets with other players is not allowed. It is also vital to remember to cash out your chips after every session as they become invalid as soon as you leave the table, meaning you will lose your winnings if you walk away.
- No mobile phones: Not only is it rude to be sitting in front of a group of people with your head in your mobile phone, it can also be distracting for other players. With most phones having a camera on them these days, it is another reason to leave your phone in your pocket, as most casinos do not allow any photos of the gaming floor.
Alternatives to land based casinos
If you can’t be bothered getting out of your undies in order to play a casino game, then playing at an online casino may be the perfect choice for you. There are now a growing number of online casinos offering a wide selection of casino games from pokies right through to blackjack, poker, roulette and more.
To ensure you are only playing with a reputable casino, we have hand-picked our top rated selections for real money players, all of which offer the highest standards of encryption software to ensure your personal details are protected at all times. All of our recommended online casinos also offer a lucrative welcome bonus, giving you extra cash to play with upon creating an account and making your first deposit.
G’Day Casino – 100% unlimited match bonus
Royal Vegas – Up to $1200 welcome bonus plus 30 free spins
Casino Mate – $1400 in matched bonus cash plus 30 free spins
House of Jack – $450 match bonus and $100 free spins